Own a cast of a pair of Smilodon sabers and a huge hand claw from Megalonyx.
Smilodon, the classic saber-toothed cat, reached around 1,000 lbs, making it heavier than any of the cats alive today. Though called a tiger, Smilodon, isn't closely related to modern cats at all, it actually belongs to a group of extinct felids with huge canines, which they used to ambush prey. They would leap atop their victim, stab them in the neck, then jump away and let the animal bleed out.
Megalonyx, at 10' long and nearly 2,300 lbs, was a kind of giant ground sloth. It had 3 massive, sharp claws on each hand (up to 6 1/2"), which it could use not only to pull down branches but also as a stout means of defense. One swipe of this powerful herbivore's hand claws and all but the most determined predator would think twice before trying to take down such a massive animal.
The Smilodon vs Megalonyx Crate includes casts of:
- Smilodon pair of sabers
- Megalonyx hand claw
- Exclusive paleoart perfect for framing and display
- Up-to-date fascinating facts on these magnificent creatures from actual paleontologists
- Certificates of Authenticity
- Fossil Crates Membership Certificate
- Free Shipping on Standard and Wooden Crates
- Unique unboxing experience
Each hand-painted cast was made in the U.S. from molds from the original fossils.
Choose to have your specimens shipped in the Standard or Wooden Crate!